Pikes Peak – America's Mountain
Adult (16+): $10 | Child (6-15): $5 | Carload up to 5 people: $35
Masks are required for ages 2 and up to enter gift shops.
Updated with current COVID info
October 1 till Memorial Day:
9 a.m. – 5 p.m | Last entry 3 p.m. daily
*Please note that weather conditions determine if the Pikes Peak summit is open, call 719-385-7325 to check for road conditions.
The summit house is currently closed. There are no facilities available to guests at the top of Pikes Peak. Crystal & Glen Cove gift stores are still open, weather permitting.
2 to 3 hours, round trip
Looking for fun things to do in Colorado Springs? How about driving to the top of Pikes Peak, one of the most visited mountains on the planet? This majestic Colorado 14er is one of the few places so grand in scale that are also accessible to be experienced first-hand by people of all ages and abilities. Get Pikes Peak tickets and take a trip to the summit to experience one of the best Colorado Springs attractions. In fact, it is one of the coolest things to do in Colorado, period.
The safe and scenic Pikes Peak Highway provides you the opportunity to enjoy 19 miles of mountain terrain, with frequent pull-offs for you to get out, stretch your legs, and take photos. You’ll be treated to breathtaking views, four different Colorado life zones and unique animal sightings, like the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, yellow-bellied marmots and (rumored) Big Foot. The “Meet the Ranger” program is the perfect place to learn about Pikes Peak’s history, geology, nature, wildlife, and events. With so much to explore, you’ll never be wondering what do in Colorado Springs.
Stop along the way at the North Slope Recreation Area, where licensed fisherman can try their luck for elusive trout in three different lakes (May-Oct) and adventure-seekers can hike and bike on nearby trails. Crystal Reservoir Gift Shop and the Historic Glen Cove Inn are also can’t-miss Colorado attractions on your journey to the top. Put us on the itinerary when you plan a trip to Colorado.
The Summit View House is slated to open May of 2021 with its world famous hot and fresh donuts served daily, hot coffee, flavorful fudge and a variety of cool gifts available for you to commemorate your 14,115-foot climb. You will be able to enjoy all the best things to eat at one of the best places to visit in Colorado.
From the summit’s various viewing areas, you’ll absolutely want to snap photos of Pikes Peak’s incredible scenery. On the clearest days, you can see five states (Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Kansas) and even the curvature of the earth fading into the distance.
Pikes Peak is a must-see if you’re looking for things to do near Denver. It is among the most beautiful places to see in Colorado Springs. In fact, it is the very mountain that inspired the song “America the Beautiful.” Visit Pikes Peak!
Pikes Peak- America’s Mountain and the entrance to the Pikes Peak Highway are located West of Colorado Springs in Cascade. Follow these directions or enter 5089 Pikes Peak Highway, Cascade, CO 80809 into your GPS or Phone.
Off Highway 24: – Head West past Manitou Springs. Turn Left at the First Light (Fountain Ave) into Cascade. You will run into the Pikes Peak Gateway.
Have a minimum of a ½ tank of fuel.
Symptoms of altitude sickness include headache, dizziness, poor appetite, nausea, and impaired judgement. The best treatment is to retreat to lower altitude. Drinking plenty of fluids and acclimating to the area prior to visiting can help with symptoms.
Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain is not a national park so the national parks passes cannot be used.
The purpose of this policy is to define the minimum vehicle and bus requirements and restrictions to ensure the safety of visitors and staff on the Pikes Peak Highway.
- Cars and Non-Commercial Truck Restrictions
- Automatic Transmissions: Must have a “1” or “L” on the shifter to be allowed on the highway. Hybrid Transmissions may have a “B” which is also acceptable. Transmissions showing an “S” or “M” must demonstrate that this shifter will allow the transmission to be locked into 1st gear.
- Bus and RV Requirements and Restrictions
- Wheelbase: Bus or RV wheelbase cannot exceed 19 ft or 228 inches and can not exceed 24′ in overall length for any bus or RV operating on the Pikes Peak Highway.
- Buses operating with less than a 21-passenger capacity may operate with standard hydraulic brake systems. Examples: Gray line or People Movers
- Buses operating over 21 passengers must have air brakes with a sufficient retarder system or engine brake. Examples: Durham, school activity buses or church buses
- All bus operators must have the required C.D.L. permit for the size bus and load they are carrying.
- Out of state bus operators and vehicles must be pre-approved by the Pikes Peak Manager and must meet the above requirements. Approval must be requested, in writing, a minimum of 14-days prior to the planned visit.
- All operators are encouraged to have experience driving high-altitude mountain highways.
- Commercial Coaches or Charters: Most vehicles will not meet the above requirements and are discouraged
- Any scooter that meets the motorcycle motor vehicle regulations according to the Colorado State Statute are allowed on the Pikes Peak Highway.
- More than 50cc or 4476 watts
- Certificate of title and vehicle registration (license plate and title)
- Proof of valid insurance
- No Pull-Behind Trailers or Campers regardless of size. This includes bicycle and motorcycle trailers.
- No ATV or OHV’s allowed
- No Mopeds or Scooters that do not meet the requirements above.
Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain Staff reserves the right to refuse any vehicle access to the Pikes Peak Highway if they do not meet these requirements.
Pikes Peak Highway is closed to visitors on race day, June 27, 2021.
2 hour Delayed opening to the summit, we will open as scheduled for fisherman:
Tire Testing – TBD
Practice – TBD
Call 719-385-7325 and press 1 twice, they will tell you the weather/ road conditions!
Hot brakes can fail. Drive down the mountain in low gear or low range. Let your transmission do the work. Save your brakes. If you are unsure how to use your low gears, ask a Ranger for help.
Complete hours/rates here
Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain is open year round – weather permitting. Conditions change frequently, it is recommended to call our pre-recorded information line. The staff updates the info approximately 30 minutes prior to opening and then as conditions change throughout the day. Call 719-385-7325 and select option 1 for current road conditions. Hours and rates change seasonally. Click here for a full listing of our hours and rates.
The drive is not recommended for infants under the age of six months or anyone with a history of cardiac or respiratory problems. Consult your physician prior to your visit if you have concerns.
Related blog posts
We’ve got a stellar list of locales that will up your proposal game to expert level. See list of the best places to propose in Colorado Springs.
With so many options for Valentine’s Day in Colorado Springs, there’s really no excuse not to have some sort of outing!
Can I hike to the top of Pikes Peak while I’m there? (Short answer…NO). Keep reading…